Sunday, April 15, 2007

Introduction


I was born in North Wales, studied art and design at Bournemouth College of Art in the UK for four years and was then accepted into London’s prestigious Royal College for Art for a further three years where I studied design and illustration gaining my Master of Arts.

Before coming to Australia I worked for a time as an Art Director for BBC television.

After arriving in Victoria I taught design and typography at the Melbourne School of Printing and Graphic Arts, followed by a teaching post at the East Sydney College of Art.

I have designed postage stamps for Australia Post. The most famous of which was the Waltzing Matilda “se-tenant” series, which held the record as being the biggest selling Australian postage stamp of the time, being much sought after by collectors both here and overseas. I also designed and illustrated the famous and controversial “Santa on a surfboard” Christmas stamp, the first time an Australian stamp featured a cartoon. As well as stamps, I have designed numerous postcards, souvenir envelopes and merchandise.

I Provide Illustration and imagery for many magazines and publishers.
I have illustrated the cover and text drawings for the worldwide hit, “Toddler Taming” (over a million copies sold) by Dr Christopher Green, and work regularly for the “You Can Do It” education program located in Los Angeles, California.

I design logos, promotional and corporate material for many of SA’s leading companies including corporate image development, labels and packaging for some Adelaide Hills boutique wineries.

Recently I have turned my passion and focus to fine art, where my illustration skills are being transposed into my paintings, working from my studio I am steadily increasing the output of collectable and uniquely distinctive oil paintings.

I have had two solo exhibitions in Adelaide, Australia.

2 comments:

Graham McArthur said...

Hi Roger,

Welcome to the blog world. Glad to see your blog up and running. I will add a link from my blog. Be sure to keep the work coming and it would be nice to see a toon or two as well...and some still life paintings. Nice drawings too by the way.

Roger said...

Thanks Graham, I'm just about to do another post - maybe a toon!
Thanks again for your kind words!
Cheers.